Mock Chicken Noodle Soup
2 - 8 oz. packages seitan (cut into small cubes)
5 - 14 oz. cans vegetable broth
2 cups sliced celery
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups diced carrot
5 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1 package shirataki noodles (drained and washed and cut in half)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
4 bay leaves
2 tablespoons grill seasoning (chicken)
1 tablespoon dry parsley
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder (optional)
1. Bring 2 tablespoon of oil and margarine to medium heat in a large pot.
2. Add celery, carrots, onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
3. Add cubed Seitan to the vegetables and 1 tablespoon of the grill chicken seasoning, then saute for about 10 minutes more over medium heat, until onions are opaque and carrots are soft. (This step is important, don't under cook the vegetables!).
4. Slowly pour in vegetable stock, then add noodles, bay leaves, parsley, garlic powder, and the rest of the grill chicken seasoning. Also, if desired, add cayenne pepper and/or bouquet garni.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover, cooking for about 30 to 45 minutes. Stir frequently. It's important that all of the dry spices have time to soften and season the broth, so extend cooking time if needed.
6. Remove bay leaves, then serve.
Notes: Be sure to taste the stock and add seasoning as needed. Dried herbs lose their potency over time. The cayenne pepper is optional, but really does a nice job of clearing the sinuses without adding too much heat.
Source of recipe: I've been experimenting with homemade soup, and stumbled upon this ingredient combination that is just the ticket for treating a head cold!