Spicy Thai Noodle Soup
3 cups (24 fl. oz.) faux-chicken broth or veggie broth
4 oz. rice noodles
1/2 package Gimmee Lean sausage style (optional)
12 oz. extra firm tofu pressed, and cut into 1/2 cubes (optional)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large shallot, minced
2 green onions, sliced
2 stalks lemon grass, cut into 2 lengths
1 inch slice of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
2 stalks asparagus, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
soy sauce, and/or vegan version of fish sauce
juice of one lemon
red pepper flake
sesame oil and canola oil
1. Roll sausage into small balls. Place on lightly oiled baking sheet along with tofu cubes and bake at 375 for 20 minutes, turning once. Set aside.
2. Soak noodles in hot water 10-15 minutes, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, saute green onion, garlic, lemon grass, shallot, and ginger in approximately. 1 tablespoon canola oil until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add vegetables and continue to saute for another 3 minutes. Season with salt.
4. Add vegetable broth, and bring to a boil, turn down heat to a simmer.
5. Add 1-2 tablespoons of sesame oil, 1-2 tablespoons of vegan fish sauce, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, and lemon juice. Simmer another couple of minutes. Add chili flakes to taste, about 1 teaspoon.
6. Serve individually. In each bowl, place a few pieces of veggie sausage and tofu, and about 1/2 cup of prepared noodles. Pour soup and veggies on top. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro or basil, if desired.