African Bean Soup
3 tablespoon margarine or soy spread
2 cups carrots thinly sliced
12 cups boiling water
1 cup black eye peas dry
1 cup navy beans dry
1 cup green pepper diced
3 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup salted peanuts chopped
2 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon basil leaves crushed
1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
(1) Melt margarine in large stock pot. Add carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
(2) Add water, black eyed peas, navy beans, green pepper, salt, and crushed red pepper (add more water, if necessary, to cover).
(3) Cook, covered, until ingredients are tender, 1 1/2-2 hours.
(4) Add peanuts, onion powder, basil, and coriander during last 10-15 minutes of cooking.
(5) Taste to correct seasonings. Soup should be thick.
NOTES: If you want more of a peanut flavor, add peanut butter (any kind) to taste during step 4. I use about 1/2 of a cup.
RATING: Difficulty: easy. Time: 15 minutes preparation, 2 hours cooking. Precision: no need to measure.