You are here

Member since April 2003

Easy Rice Pudding

What you need: 

3 cups cooked white rice
3 cups regular nondairy milk (I use soy)
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons margarine (such as Willow Run)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
ground cinnamon, to garnish

What you do: 

1. Combine rice, milk, sugar, margarine and vanilla in a medium-sized sauce pan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer, stirring often for about 25 minutes until liquid is absorbed and pudding has thickened.
3. Serve in dessert cups and sprinkle with cinnamon. Tastes great room temperature or chilled.

Preparation Time: 
25 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
4-6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I added all ingreidients plus a cinnamon stick, and  5 pods of freshly ground  cardamon.. I only had 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, so I added what I had, 2 cups of organic valley soy creamer. That had sugar in it,

so I added just a bit of rice syrup. I t is good with blueberries, strawberry perserves, and even carrot juice!

i could have eaten the whole pot of gold.

0 likes

This was excellent! I used brown rice and unsweetened almond milk. It was really sweet even for my massive sweet-tooth so I'll decrease the sugar a little next time.
I added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon to the mixture.

I ate it warm, at room temp. and cold and all 3 ways were grrrreat. Thank you for the recipe!

0 likes

I just made this with some variations:

3 cups brown rice
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 1/2 cups almond milk

There seemed to be too much milk before I added the agave nectar, so I added 2 tbs. corn starch and it thickened right up!
I love love love this pudding.

0 likes

I think I'll try Basmati rice, since that tastes just oh so lucious in Indian rice pudding
looks fantastic!

0 likes

I just made this and it's so delicious that I'm eating it practically out of the pan! I added more vanilla (about .5 tsp.) and used rice milk - it'd probably be better with soy, but the vanilla is delicious! It's very, very sweet though - fits my palate wonderfully, but if you prefer a more neutral taste, I'd cut down on the sugar a bit.

0 likes

The taste of the pudding is good, but I was expecting it to be a little better. I used Jasmine rice and vanilla soy milk and brown sugar. Also, the recipe says it makes enough for 4-6, but this recipe makes enough for at least 15!

0 likes

This is great! I made it using cooked brown rice and unsweetened soy milk (it was all I had on hand). I also added a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon while cooking (this adds great flavor but makes it sort of brown-ish colored which some may not like!). Otherwise followed the recipe exactly and it was perfect - great consistency, just thick enough and perfectly sweet! Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

This is delicious! So much better than the rice puddings I have gotten in the store, and so easy!

0 likes

this was really good definetly better then any pudding ive bought from the store :)
i put cinnamon into the saucepan rather then garnishing and i was out of vanilla extrat so i used vanilla soy milk instead.

0 likes

I love rice pudding, and this recipe is essentially how I make it. Instead of cooking it on the stove though, I always bake it.  It works both ways, but i started using the oven so I could multi-task while it cooks.  I just dump the ingredients in a greased pyrex loaf pan and drop the dallops of margerine on top of it.  Heat oven to 350˚F,  cover with foil, stir occasionally.  Bake for 30 min to 1 hour. You can also use uncooked rice, it will just take longer and might require the additon of some water.

0 likes

Pages