1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
1 large lemon, juice and zest of
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste [u]Salad[/u]:
2 (15-ounce) cans drained and rinsed white beans (navy, cannelloni, great northern, or garbanzo)
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, water packed, rinsed
1 thinly sliced onion (purple is nice)
1/2 cup roasted red or yellow bell peppers
1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried off, and torn into pieces

What you do: 

1. Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients (vinegar, olive oil, garlic, parsley, tarragon, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper).
2. Salad: Except for lettuce, mix in salad ingredients (beans, artichoke hearts, onion, and bell peppers). Marinate for 1 to 4 hours.
3. Add the romaine lettuce just before serving.

Preparation Time: 
10 minutes plus 1 to 4 hours
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
4 to 6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I needed a recipe to use the abundance of tarragon in my garden and this was perfect. Red wine vinegar worked fine. Make sure to eat it with a crusty and soft artisan bread to soak up the dressing on your plate!

0 likes

I made this last week and took it to school with me in a little thermos. I was utterly surprised at how delicious it was. And since I made too much dressing for the little bit of beans I had, I have left overs for salad. It's a great combo of flavors.

0 likes

this is amazing and very flavorful! i thought there was a bit too much dressing (maybe cuz i forgot the romaine) so i added a 3rd can of beans and some celery.

0 likes

This was so simple and tasty.  It's totally going into my most frequently used recipe file.  I really didn't make any significant changes.  I didn't have water packed artichoke hearts so I used a jar of marinated artichoke hearts instead.  The dressing is great, especially with fresh herbs and red wine vinegar instead of white vinegar, and it can totally be used on other salads as well.

0 likes