1 link soyrizo vegan Mexican sausage
1/4 red or white onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/2 jalapeno, diced
olive oil, for sautéing
1 box refrigerated pie crust

What you do: 

Preheat oven to 375.
In pan, sauté Soyrizo, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno in olive oil until onions and peppers are cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
While it cools, unroll both sheets of pie crust and use a large round cookie cutter or a large drinking glass to cut circles from crust. Fill each circle with about a tablespoon of the Soyrizo mixture, folding in half each empanada and sealing seam with a fork.
Bake on a cookie sheet 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with fresh salsa made from diced tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno, garnished with lime juice and cilantro.
If fake meat products are not your thing, fill empanadas with cheese substitute, freshly diced avocado, black beans and corn, or veggies sautéed with cumin and chili powder.

Preparation Time: 
25 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Just a note that MOST of the refrigerated pie crusts (e.g., Pillsbury) have lard.  Marie Callender's frozen crust does NOT.  :-)

0 likes

Can I just ask one thing? How many empanadas do you get out of this recipe?  :) Thanks.

0 likes

Soyrizo has to be one of the nastiest things I've ever cooked this side of veganhood.  I stank up my new apartment and was unfortunate enough to still be cooking when the couch was delivered.  It took almost as long to digest as to get the stank outta my new home.  I'm going to try this using vegannoodle's ideas.  Using pie crust is going to make this much easier.
Thanks to lizzysama for the Jamaican veggie patty link.  I've been craving those for years!

0 likes

I made these tasty things last night, only with the dough from here (with margarine instead of shortening) http://eatair.blogspot.com/2006/01/jamaican-veggie-patties-and-coco-bread.html , and fried veggies inside. I refrigerated the leftover dough and stuffing and made more today with red beans too. I took some pictures, I'll try to post soon.  ;D

0 likes

I made these yesterday for a Cinco de Mayo party, and they were a hit!  They got devoured in a span of maybe ten minutes, by a bunch of meat-loving Texans.  I made a few changes.....I used homemade dough instead of refrigerated.  I also used the Field Roast Chipotle sausage.  Sauteed this with shallots, red pepper, and a canned chipolte pepper in adobe sauce.  Then added balck beans at the end.  Yummy!  Thanks for the recipe!

1 like

This is a FUN and easy recipe!  Not to mention DELICIOUS!
I substituted a package of Boca "ground meat" for the Soyrizo and threw in lots of chili powder and a little cumin just for fun.  Next time, I will use 2 jalapenos (one for the empanadas and one for the salsa). 
I also added some chopped green onions to the salsa.
Will definitely be making this again in the future!

1 like