Vegan Shepherd's Pie Recipe
1 cup dry lentils
6 medium potatoes, medium chunks
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced (or 2 teaspoons dried)
2 tablespoons red or white wine, or to taste
pinch black pepper
2 tablespoons whole grain flour
1/2 cup water
1. Lentils: In a pot over high heat, place lentils and 3 cups of water; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
2. Potatoes: To a pot over high heat, add potatoes and a pinch of salt; fill with water to cover potatoes by an inch. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are soft, about 20 to 30 minutes. Once they are cooked, pour off the excess cooking liquid leaving about 1/2 cup of water in the pot. If you pour the liquid off into a bowl, you may want to add some back. Mash or blend the potatoes until smooth, adding liquid if necessary. (If you want a really creamy potato, you can add rice or nut milk and coconut oil, but I don't find this necessary.) Add salt to taste.
3. To a pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add onions and saute until softened. Then add carrot and saute until softened. Stir in thyme, then stir in wine.
4. To a pie or baking dish, place the lentils, sauteed vegetables, salt, pepper, and flour; stir to combine well. Add the water and stir once more to dissolve the flour.
5. Top the lentils with the mashed potatoes and put in the oven to bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are starting to brown on top and you have completed your vegetarian Shepherds Pie recipe. I hope you enjoy the latest of my healthy vegetarian recipes.
Source of recipe: To watch a free video of me making this Vegan Shepherd's Pie Recipe, so I can show you the exact techniques that will make the perfect recipe, go to http://www.healthyveganrecipes.net/video/vegetarian-shepherds-pie-recipe