1 lb. chick peas (see note as to canned chick peas)
1 container (15 oz) Tahini (Joyva and Krinos brands recommended)
lemon juice, cumin, salt,
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (unless using canned peas)
1. Soak chick peas for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain; cook in slowly boiling water + baking soda for 1.5-2 hours, until peas are easily mashable. Without baking soda, cooking time is approx. 3 hours.
3. Mash chickpeas with fork (better) or in food processor. wait 15 minutes.
4. Add all other ingredients, and about 3/4 cup of the water in which the peas were cooked.
5. Garnish humus with tahini sauce, paprika, parsley and/or whole cooked chickpeas. Serve with vegan pita bread. Excellent as a dip.