Gourmet Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/3 cup plain vegan yogurt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
10 ounces brown sugar
8 ounces organic cane sugar
1 1/4 cups vegan buttery sticks, melted (I use Earth Balance)
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
8 1/2 ounces bread flour
7 ounces all-purpose flour
1 1/2 ounces corn starch
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cups bittersweet chocolate disks (at least 60% cacao)
1. In a small bowl, combine yogurt and lemon juice and set aside. In mixer bowl, combine melted vegan butter and sugars and mix on medium speed for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add yogurt mixture and vanilla and mix for 30 to 45 seconds, until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together flours, corn starch, espresso powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Use a whisk to stir salt into dry ingredients, until all dry ingredients are well-combined.
3. Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl and mix on low for 10 to15 seconds, until cookie dough just comes together. Remove bowl from mixer and gently stir in chocolate disks by hand. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form large, golf ball-sized balls of cookie dough. Place balls at least 3" apart from each other and 1 1/2" away from edges of pan. Bake for 12 to 16 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and place baking sheet on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Move cookies from baking sheet to another wire rack to cool an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Source of recipe: Source of recipe: This recipe is adapted from Jacques Torres' chocolate chip cookie recipe. Any cookie connoisseur will tell you that Jacques' recipe is the best. I've taken out the animal products and added a little espresso powder to make mine, yeah I said it, even better.