German Sweet and Tart Lemon Muffins
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
10 tablespoons potato starch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup coconut milk
2/3 cup lemon juice Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper liners, or grease with margarine or canola oil spray. Cream together the sugar, vegan butter, and lemon zest.
2. Combine the flour, potato starch and baking powder. Add the lemon juice and coconut milk to the sugar mixture, then add the flour mixture until combined.
3. Scoop the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake the muffins for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly golden and toothpick comes out clean.
4. Make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar and lemon juice, and stirring until smooth.
5. Remove the muffins from the oven and while still warm, pour the glaze on the muffins. Let sit for 1 hour, and remove muffins from the pan.
Source of recipe: I came up with this one after trying to recreate a recipe from my childhood. Dedicated to my neighbor, Erika Bach.