Deluxe Creamy Curry Sweet Potato Soup
4 large sweet potatoes, can also use yams or a combination
1 onion, sliced
3 coarsely chopped cloves of garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder (any kind you can get is fine)
1/2 cup white wine or dry vermouth (use less of this)
1 1/2 to 2 cups orange juice
1 can of coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
fresh coriander to garnish
(I never measure stuff when I cook, this is approximate)
1. Remove the skin from the potatoes and cut into chunks about 1 inch thick. Slice up onion and chop garlic.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon vegan margarine in a large pot or Dutch oven.
3. Add onions and garlic. Sauté for about 2minutes.
4. Add sweet potatoes to the pot.
5. Add curry powder, continue to sauté until onion is transparent and potatoes soften a little (they will simmer to completely soften later). At this time, also add about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt* and 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (you'll need to adjust this yourself later according to taste. I actually like to use garlic salt, but I know this product can involve hydrogenated oil.)
6. Add orange juice. Lower heat to Simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender and mash-able.
7. When the potatoes are soft, add coconut milk and... Using a hand held blender, carefully blend the contents until smooth, adding more juice to thin if necessary. You can also hand mash it to produce a more rustic soup.
9. Add chopped coriander to garnish.
10. Enjoy please!