Deli Style Seitan
1-3/4 cups vital wheat gluten flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup chickpeas
5 ounces tofu
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek seed
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon turmeric salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste
1 cup vegetable broth, add more if runs out while steaming
1. In a bowl, combine wheat gluten and nutritional yeast flakes; set aside.
2. In another blender, combine remaining seitan ingredients; blend well. Blend into gluten mixture; mix well. Let the wheat gluten mixture rise for a few minutes
3. Form gluten mixture into log and rub with cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Wrap seitan log in foil.
4. In a medium pot, add vegetable broth and wrapped seitan log. Place pot cover on pot, but allow some room for the steam. Place pot over low heat. Steam seitan for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Make sure you don't run out of broth as you steam. Add more if you need to as you steam.
5. To store, keep the seitan in the foil you steamed it in.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/01/po-boy-sandwich.html