Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
3 flax egg replacers (3 tablespoons milled flax seed whisked with 9 tablespoons water)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dark vegan rum
1/2 cup nondairy creamer
2 cups nondairy milk
6 cups day old French bread, 1" cubes (we like to use homemade)
4 ounces chocolate chips
4 teaspoons turbinado, or other raw sugar
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flax eggs, brown sugar, rum, nondairy creamer, and milk. Stir in the French bread cubes and chocolate chips.
2. Cover the bowl with tin foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Once the mixture is chilled, pour into prepared dish.
3. Push down on the bread cubes with light pressure in order to saturate them with the "egg" mixture, sprinkle top with raw sugar, cover, and place back in the refrigerator for an additional 15 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit. Once the 15 minutes are up, take the cover off of the bread pudding and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until set.
5. Place pudding under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to create a golden brown, crispy top. (If you have a weird oven like mine that makes you choose between high and low broiler, high works best.) Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes and serve warm.
It's great with a little bit of coconut whip on top!
Source of recipe: This recipe was found in an issue of Bon Appetit magazine, drooled over, and easily veganized!