Black Bean Dip
4 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons coconut or safflower oil
1 cup red bell pepper
1 cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
4 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
4 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, raw unfiltered
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
Cook beans or use 2 cans of black beans. 1 3/4 cups dry black beans cooked 1 1/4 hours will yield approximately 4 cups cooked beans. Place beans in a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until many of them are mashed.
Place oil in a sauté pan on medium high heat. Add onion, pepper, garlic and spices until onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add apple cider vinegar, remove from heat and add to bowl with beans. Add cilantro and salt, mix well and enjoy your fiesta.
- serve with chips and salsa or with toasted pita bread.
- can use as a main filling for tacos, enchiladas or burritos.
- try experimenting with different beans.
- you can add 1 cup of assorted veggies, chopped small to sauté after the onions are translucent, cook until vegetables are tender.
- try replacing cilantro with other fresh minced herbs.
This recipe is reprinted from 7 Minute Chef by Mark Reinfeld and Bo Rinaldi with permission.