50 Calorie Sassy Mollassy Cookies
2 tablespoons fresh ginger (or 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger powder)
3 tablespoons black strap molasses
5 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons applesauce
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt Icing:
2 teaspoons nondairy milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1. For cookies, add fresh ginger to a food processor or blender and process until it is very fine (if using ginger powder, just add with the rest of the spices). Next, add molasses, brown sugar, and applesauce to the food processor and mix until well blended.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ground cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt and stir together well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient and stir together by hand to make a batter (should be a very sticky consistency).
3. Cover the batter and refrigerate overnight (or at least 2 hours if you cant wait that long). Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly oil a cookie sheet. In a small bowl, mix together the icing ingredients. If the icing is too thick to drizzle, try adding a little bit more milk.
4. Roll the batter into round balls, and then flatten each ball between the palms of your hands into 3" diameter circles that are about 1/2" thick (if batter sticks to your hands you can rub some olive oil on them).
5. Place cookies onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely before topping them with the icing. Then let the cookies set for a few hours for the icing to harden.
Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Source of recipe: www.luxhippie.com