You are here

Member since April 2003

The Un-Meat Loaf

What you need: 

1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup instant oats or oat bran (uncooked)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped fine
1 cup mushrooms, chopped fine
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1/2 bell pepper, chopped fine
1 medium carrot, shredded fine
1 teaspoon dried thyme, marjoram or sage
2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
ketchup

What you do: 

Combine all ingredients and mix for 2 minutes with a wooden spoon. Pack in to a 4 x 8 loaf pan sprayed with Pam and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until lightly browned. You may wish to top the loaf with ketchup after about 40 minutes, then continue baking the final 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
NOTE: The vegetables should be chopped as finely as possible. If you have a food processor this would be a great time to use it. Put each vegetable and the nuts in one at a time, pulse until finely ground. Then dump in to a big bowl with all other ingredients for final mixing.
This recipe freezes well too! Just wrap in foil and then in a freezer bag. To reheat either slice and warm in the microwave or reheat covered in a 350 oven for 20-30 minutes.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made the un-meat meatloaf for my vegan daughter and my husband and they both liked it.  In fact everyone went for seconds.  I served it with ketchup but a nice gravy would have been tasty as well. I used my food processor for the nuts and vegetables and used quinoa instead of the rice and cooked it covered for the first 40 minutes before covering with ketchup for the last 20 minutes.  You do need to mix the ingredients very well.  We did not find it dry.  I would make it again and my husband and I are not vegetarians but do like to eat some meatless meals. 

0 likes

For another great un-meatloaf that uses quinoa, try this recipe. I made this quinoa loaf for my dad and uncle and we all devoured the entire thing. I would suggest adding extra spices suited to your palate, like coriander or chili powder, and definitely lots of black pepper. It is great with a little hummus to dip it in, or it would work well with a mushroom gravy.  http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=2672

0 likes

this was pretty good. the texture was meatloaf-like but kinda tasted like thanksgiving stuffing. i had no idea what to expect but i ended up liking it. strange, though.

0 likes

This was great!!  My husband says it's just as good and the old meatloaf we used to have.  Have been Vegans for only 5 months and love it.  I wouldn't change a thing to this recipe. ;)b

0 likes

The first time I made this, it came out crumbly with a decent taste.  I recently made it again and added a cornstarch arrowroot water mix as a binder with some other veggies like mushrooms and some other spices lying around, and it came out perfect and very yummy, even my skeptical omni mother loved it.  I highly recommend this recipe, but add a binder or it'll come out very crumbly.

0 likes

This was soo yummy!  My meat eating fiance (who is very picky) also loved it! It fell apart while I was taking it out, but I think if I would've let it cool, it would have stayed together.  We were so hungry and I couldn't wait.  It was very filling and we barely had enough room for our mashed potatoes!

0 likes

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was for consistency or one of those to taste things.

0 likes

About how much ketchup/tomato sauce should be used?  This looks pretty good and I want to try it when I get back to the states.

just cover the top of the loaf with the ketchup, smooth it out evenly with a spoon, it's really up to your tastes buds how much ketchup you want to smother on it... i like a lot!

0 likes

About how much ketchup/tomato sauce should be used?  This looks pretty good and I want to try it when I get back to the states.

0 likes

This recipe has potential, but I think I will try a few changes next time.  I agree that it came out dry... some of the rice even got hard on the top.  Overall, it had a nice flavor.  My daughter thought it was bitter but I did not taste any bitterness.  My husband liked it a lot.  I skipped the ketchup because I served it with gravy, which helped.  I think next time I will try adding some broth and keep the lid on throughout the cooking.  It is also possible that my veggies were not chopped fine enough.  Will def use the food processor next time.  Oh, and I subbed salt for soy sauce since I can't have soy. Still, a comforting dinner, good w/ mashed potatoes!

0 likes

Pages