Member since April 2003

Velvet Red Lentil Soup

What you need: 

2 yellow onions, diced
2 cups red lentils
6 cups water
2-3 vegetable bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon oil (your choice what kind)
salt to taste

What you do: 

Sautee the onions in oil in a stock pot. When the onions are done, add the bouillion, water, peppercorns, salt, and lentils. Cover and cook until lentils are soft. Then ladle the soup into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. This will give the soup its velvety texture. Serve hot.
This recipe is so quick, easy, and satisfying on cold days...

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

this was very tasty i also added cilantro which was good i think the next time i won't add as much perppercorn though.

0 likes

what is ' bouillon '?

0 likes

Excellent soup! Though it was too salty for my taste; even though I used low-sodium vegetable cubes (3 of them) and did not add salt, strange... But my boyfriend didn't think so. I also didn't use oil, I just put almost a cup of broth at first, then added the onions, let them cook, and then added the rest. Delicious! Will definitely be cooking this in large quantities to feed us for the week. Thanks!

0 likes

This is amazingly good! I added roasted red peppers and can't seem to stop eating it! :)

0 likes

This was amazing. Thanks ! ;)b

0 likes

This soup is great!  I spoon out some of the peppercorns before blending though.  I use an immersion blender and then I pour the soup through a strainer to remove the big pieces of pepper because my kids don't like to bite down on them.  They all love the soup though.  A definite family favorite!

0 likes

This soup was amazing! It was so easy to throw together that it is becoming a staple in my family.  ^-^

I added some minced garlic, mushrooms and spinach to it as well, tossed it all in a blender, and viola! Beautiful green soup that any kid would think is sludge. LOL.  :-D

Again, great, healthy recipe!

0 likes

:)>>>
Yummy!  Followed exactly and it is perfect!!!!!!!

0 likes

It's starting to get cold outside so I am thinking it's soup time!  I found this soup and made it with a few of the modification that some of the reviewers mentioned including the cumin (1 tsp.), garlic (fresh, about 1 clove, chopped), and carrots (2 sliced).  It came out really good, but not as 'velvety' as I would have liked so next time I will use slightly less water.  My husband, the non-vegan, had two big bowls and can't stop bragging about it and is trying to think of what I should put in it next time.  He thinks cauliflower would go well in it. :)

0 likes

I have been making this for years, its about time I write a review. This soup is soooo good and very simple to make. I usually add a few garlic cloves and about twice the peppercorns, but other than that I make it as is. If you use faux chicken broth, I think this could probably pass for cream of "chicken" soup in other recipes you might be trying to veganize. Delicious!

0 likes

Pages