1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
1 cup brown rice
1 tablespoon curry powder
cayenne pepper, to taste
1 (12 ounce) can refried beans
3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1/4 cup corn kernels, optional
3 to 4 heaping tablespoons vegan cream cheese, optional (I use Tofutti)
2 avocados
salsa, to taste
1/2 red onion, diced
4 large tortilla wraps
1 small plum tomato
2 green onions, sliced

What you do: 

1. Bring coconut milk and water to a boil. Add rice, and simmer for 45 minutes or until cooked. Add curry and cayenne.
2. When the rice is close to being finished, warm refried beans over medium-low heat with 1 clove garlic, corn kernels and vegan cream cheese, if using. Reduce heat as necessary until warmed.
3. Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Slightly mash avocado with remaining garlic and salsa. Spread on tortillas, then add red onion. Mix rice and bean mixture together, then pile equal amounts on each tortilla. Top with slices of tomato and green onion.
4. Roll into burrito form and place on a cookie sheet in the oven. Warm them up for 4 to 8 minutes, until nicely warmed and tortilla is soft (not too long or it will get crunchy.)
When it comes to choosing coconut milk, never get the 'light' versions. All it means is that there is added water, something you can do at home (essentially giving you 'extra' coconut milk).
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.

Preparation Time: 
55 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Yum! And the family even liked it too. Thanks for sharing. Will make this again.

0 likes

OK, i am a bit confused.  the coconut milk you are using-is it the small can which comes in 5.5 or 16 oz? or the beverage, packaged similarly to soy milk?  the former is riddled with fat, the latter much less so. 

0 likes

It's not frugal (depending on where you are), but avocado.  Yes, this screams for avocado.  I think I may try these without the cream cheese sub and throw in some diced avocado instead.  YUM.

0 likes

I very much enjoyed this.  Thanks for posting it!

0 likes

These tasted like they were missing something.
They were yummy, but it just... needed something.
I had to use fresh tomato instead of salsa, because my lover hates salsa (I don't know HOW...)
That may have something to do with it.
Needs more cheese alternative, in my opinion.
Lots more cheese alternative.
Yum.
I'll play around with it

0 likes

WOW! I just made these for supper tonight! They are so good! I will be making these again and again! Thank you for sharing the recipe! ;)b

0 likes