3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/8 cup flour
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
egg replacer (such as Ener-G)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt to taste (I use 1 teaspoon)

What you do: 

I used two, 200 gram cans of kidney beans. I don't know the English measurements though. Perhaps 16 oz.?
Preheat the oven to 220 Celsius (or about 425 F).
In a food processor, roughly chop garlic and onion. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well. I like my burgers fairly chunky so after pulsing the processor a few times, I went in with my hands and mixed the ingredients. It preserves the texture and you get dirty which makes cooking so much more fun.
Spray a bit of oil on a pan and form patties (6-8). Bake for about 10-15 minutes on each side.
Enjoy!

Preparation Time: 
40 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

These are okay, love the flavor but they taste a little bready. My brother likes them though! And he's not the vegan in the family. Go figure.

0 likes

Thank you for this recipe. I am a very proud parent of an autistic child who is the pickies eater ever. Once I got him to eat it he scarfed it down and asked for another one. I am also always trying to find alternative ways to help him be high functioning. Organic vegan based diet is one thing that I found that helps. Again, thank you for the recipe. :D

0 likes

I love this recipe & have made it a few times. This time I added in some red lentils cooked in stock to the mix. I used homemade tomato sauce instead of paste, some worcestershire sauce, some corn kernals, and more breadcrumbs, spices, etc to compensate for extra ingredients. I mashed by hand rather than blend to keep it bit more chunky. Turned out very tasty but bit "pasty" inside. Next time more flour needed maybe. Still - delish!!

0 likes

This recipe was great!

I might add more salt and spices next time and flash sauté the onions. I guess I would rather under-favor than over-favor.

But, all in all, I really liked these burgers and am looking forward to eating the leftovers today for lunch.

My husband even said he liked them better than an In and Out burger! Sacrilegious in California? Way healthier for you than In and Out!

0 likes

I had a bunch of kidney beans and didn't have enough ingredients to make chili, so I decided to give this recipe a try. These were excellent!! They have a real meaty texture, and don't even require vital wheat gluten or any hard to find ingredients. I ate with ketchup, mustard, and relish and they were great.

Also I couldn't fit all the beans in the food processor with the rest of the ingredients: so I mixed up the beans first, then mixed up the rest of the ingredients with only one cup of beans, and put if all in a bowl and mixed with my hands. I also added a splash of liquid smoke which added a nice grilled flavor. Delicious!

0 likes

These were great for an understocked pantry and a fast meal. I needed something quick but was missing at least one ingredient for all my usual fast recipes.

These came together fast and tasted really good! I used ketchup instead of tomato paste and half breadcrumbs/half oats instead of all breadcrumbs and whole wheat flour. I think I added some marjoram but otherwise stuck to the recipe. They didn't dry out on me and were even good cold.

0 likes

I just used enough for one egg and it was grand  ;)b

0 likes

How much Egg Replacer is used in this recipe? I don't see where it is specified...

0 likes

I love this recipe! It didn't fall apart!! They're still a little bit soft (handle them with care when flipping over in the oven) but they crisp up nicely on the outside and taste great! I used oats instead of breadcrumbs and reduced the recipe so it made four small burgers.  :>

0 likes

Thanks for this wonderfull recipe... I modify it... I used corn starch instead of flour and oatmeal and cornflakes instead of breadcrumbs (daughter allergic to wheat) I put everything in the blender beacause i don't have food processor except the cornflakes and oatmeal... i also rested it abot to let the oats abosrb some of the moisture... as suggested by someone else i used tomato sauce instead of tomato paste... didn't put cayene powder (because my kids are 2 and 4) and forgot oregano... But they were so delicious... and they came out toasted on the outside and moist in the inside... perfect consistency!  ;)b

0 likes

Pages