1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper

What you do: 

1. In a blender, mix the beans and water.
2. Blend in the garlic and lemon.
3. Add the onion powder, black pepper and salt. Continue to blend until it reaches desired consistency. Keep refrigerated.

Preparation Time: 
10 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made this a couple times and thought it was very good, quick, and easy. I used lime juice instead of lemon because my lemon juice smelled like a skunk! My husband tried it and complained that there was no cumin, so I ended up adding some. My only complaint would be that it seemed really salty, but maybe that's because of my alterations. The second time I used more water because my blender is bad and the water helped it blend easier. The hummus ended up watery though, so I do not recommend it!

0 likes

Ooh, this looks like a great recipe! I can hardly ever find tahini around here, too, so it's so nice to find this!

0 likes

This is wonderful! I ran out of garbonzo beans and used white kidney beans and it was great! I also added avacado and cilantro, onion, along with some lime juice. Super easy and quick. Great recipe. I'm going to try it with red kidney beans today and dip my veggies from my garden in it! Yum!! Thank you! :)>>>

0 likes

This is pretty much the hummus that i always make at home. Except i use a little olive oil instead of water and usually just make it a lemon-garlic dip. i've been wanting a change of pace though so I went with some of the other suggestions and added some spice to it this time.
i did heavy dashes of cayenne, paprika, chili powder and cumin. Plus a little dash of garlic salt. SO GOOD! I will definitely be making this more often.

0 likes

oh yeah--i also added extra lemon juice! 

0 likes

oh yum! i was a little skeptical of this recipe but it is so good! i didn't use the onion powder bc i don't have any and i added about a tsp of cumin and a tsp of tahini. next time i might reduce the pepper a little. but it's very good. i'm tempted to just eat spoonfuls of it!

0 likes

I will never buy hummus again.  My blender sucks so it wasn't as creamy as the store bought stuff but it was great and really did take less than 5 minutes.  It makes a lovely base for whatever other flavor you want to add: parsley, basil, roasted red pepper... I will make this again and again, thank you!

0 likes

awesome recipe!!  ;)b i personally added more lemon juice
but its a great base recipe!

0 likes

its a  keeper! good & basic! I added  basil & a  little olive oil

0 likes

I love this recipe!!! It's great!

0 likes

Pages