Veggie's in Z'ara Peanut Sauce
5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 medium red onion, finely minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2-1/2 cups water
1-1/2 cups all natural peanut butter (no sugar)
3 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup or sweetener of your choice (don't use if your peanut butter is sweetened)
1 bay leaf
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
1 medium eggplant, chopped in bite sized chunks (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 to 2 zucchini, chopped in bite sized chunks (about 1 cup)
1 to 2 carrots, chopped in bite sized chunks (about 1 cup)
1 bell pepper, chopped in bite sized chunks (I like red, but whatever you choose is ok)
1. Heat oil in pan. Saute the garlic and onion until the onion is soft.
2. Add the tomato paste. Stir and cook on medium heat for 1 minutes.
3. Lower heat. Stir in water, peanut butter, maple syrup, bay leaf, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes. Stir up real good and cover pan. Simmer on low - be sure to stir occasionally.
4. Heat more oil in a separate pan. Add vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, carrots, and bell pepper). Cover them and let them cook, stirring occasionally.
5. After about 8 minutes of cooking the veggies, add the sauce to the veggie pan and stir up. Cook it up for a few minutes. Serve over rice noodles, rice, or other pasta.
Source of recipe: I found it online and adapted it a bit.