Veggie Protein Packed Burgers
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 1/2 large carrots, chopped finely
1 red bell pepper, chopped finely
1 (14 ounce) can sweet corn
1 (15 ounce) can black soy beans
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 vegetable bullion cube
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup soy granulates
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons whole grain dijon mustard (I use Trader Joe's)
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup milled flax seed
1 cup oats
1. In a large pot, cook garlic, onion, and carrots in olive oil until soft. Add red bell pepper, corn, and black soy beans and cook covered for 5 minutes.
2. Add soy sauce, bullion cube, water, soy granulates, tomato paste, liquid smoke, paprika, oregano, and thyme and cook another 5 minutes. Add in the dijon mustard and peanut butter. Cook covered 5 minutes. Add nutritional yeast, milled flax seeds, and oats and mix thoroughly.
3. Turn off heat and let set for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F., line a roasting pan with foil, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. I used a 14x9" pan.
4. Smooth out mixture onto prepared pan, and bake for 40 minutes. Mine was about 1" thick after baking. Cool, and cut into 12 squares. I then wrap and freeze them.
5. To reheat, I spray a nonstick pan, and cook them about 4 minutes on each side, or microwave for about 30 seconds, then flip for another 30 seconds.
Nutritional value per serving: 243.9 calories, 10.2 grams fat, 24.7 carbohydrates, 11.05 dietary fiber, 17.38 protein
Source of recipe: I made this recipe with the intent of making a veggie burger that had all the key essential nutrients.