Vegan Tres Leches Couscous Cake
3/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup couscous
1/2 tablespoon sweetened condensed soymilk
1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar/maple syrup
1. In a small saucepan, combine the 2 milks, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and couscous. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Stir the mixture continually until most of the liquid is absorbed.
2. Turn off the heat, cover and let sit for about a minute. The mixture should look almost like polenta or cornmeal mush. Meanwhile, spray a small round casserole dish with a nonstick cooking spray.
3. Spoon 1/2 the couscous mixture onto the dish making sure you pack it in firmly. Place it in the refrigerator to cool for about 30 minutes.
4. In the meantime, blend the strawberries, sweetened condensed soymilk, and agave nectar in a food processor or blender. Take your cooled couscous out of the refrigerator and pour the strawberry mix on top.
5. Spread the other 1/2 couscous mixture on top of the strawberry mix making sure to pack it in firmly if possible. Place the dish in the refrigerator for another 30-60 minutes. Once firm and cool enough, turn the couscous cake onto a serving platter.
I like to pour about 1/4 cup sweetened condensed soymilk on top and garnish with a fresh strawberry cut in half as well as any leftover strawberry mix.
Source of recipe: See http://www.veggout.blogspot.com/ for more of my recipes.