Vegan Green Bean Casserole
1-1/2 cups nondairy milk
1 (2.5-ounce) cube veggie bouillon
1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
3/4 cup chopped mushrooms (button, crimini, portabella, whatever)
1 carrot, diced
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 or 3 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch
2 or 3 tablespoons cold water
1 (14.5-ounce) can French cut green beans
1-1/2 (24-ounce) canisters vegan French fried onions
1. In a saucepan, heat the nondairy milk and veggie bouillon; stir until bouillon cube disintegrates. Just heat the milk, do not boil or scald it.
2. In a skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions, mushrooms, and carrots; saute until the onions are translucent. Add the herbs and spices (basil, garlic, marjoram, oregano, pepper, sage, salt, and thyme - and whatever other hearty herbs make you happy).
3. Make a thickener by combining cornstarch and cold water; mix well. Pour into the nondairy milk-bouillon mixture. Stir well, because this will coagulate pretty quickly.
4. Quickly add the can of green beans, the sautéed veggies, and about half of the French fried onions; stir well. Pour that mixture into a casserole dish or pan and top with remaining French fried onions.
5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the French fried onions begin to brown. Remove. Eat. Enjoy.