Vegan Chik'n Tikka Masala
8 oz chik'n (I used Morningstar)
3 TB coconut oil
Half a large onion, or a whole small one (about a cup chopped)
1 TB each: diced garlic & ginger
1 tsp each: paprika, chili powder, cardamom, salt
2 tsp hot madras curry powder
1 TB lemon juice
1/2 cup tomato sauce (I used Bertolli garlic olive oil)
6oz plain yogurt (I used so delicious almond greek style)
This is not an authentic Indian recipe, it's more of a quick & easy version, but it is still full flavoured & hits that Indian food craving. This particular spice mix comes out mild, feel free to add some cayenne and/or siracha sauce if you want heat.
1. Defrost the ckik'n and cut into bite size pieces as you heat 2 TB of the coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Brown the chik'n over medium heat as you chop the onions. Once browned, remove from pan and keep in a dish on the stove to stay warm.
3. Heat the remaining TB oil over medium/low heat. Add the onions and cook until starting to brown (you can dice the garlic & ginger at this time).
4. Add the garlic & ginger and mix a bit, then add all the spices. Heat until fragrant, then reduce heat to low and add the liquid ingredients. Mix well to combine.
5. Add the chik'n and let all of it combine for a good 5- 10 minutes. Add water as needed if the sauce gets too thick (probably 1/4- 1/2 cup).
6. Serve over rice & with naan or pita.