Ultimate Comfort Casserole
3 large potatoes, sliced thinly
6 vegan sausages
2 (15 ounce) cans vegan baked beans
black pepper, to taste
5 tablespoons plain flour
1 1/2 cups nondairy milk (I use soy)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes, optional
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Boil potatoes until tender. Put sausages on the grill and let them cook until very well browned but not quite burned.
2. Slice sauces very thinly and throw them into a saucepan. Add the baked beans and black pepper, and stir to warm up. While sausage mixture is warming, make a white sauce.
3. Over medium heat, whisk together the flour and milk. You want to whisk quickly and add the flour very slowly while the mixture heats. When all the flour has been added, add the garlic and salt and stir until very thick and bubbly.
4. Add the yeast flakes, if using. To assemble, pour the vegan sausage mixture into a casserole dish, then layer the potato slices, gratin style on top.
5. Pour the cheesy sauce over the top of the potatoes and pop into oven for about 40 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
Don't worry if the bean juice and the cheesy sauce mix when serving, its deliciously sinful that way! I've never met anyone, vegan or not, that didn't like this. Make sure you serve some vegetables with this protein powerhouse. This casserole is also good if you add chopped mushrooms to the bean/sausage mixture and let it simmer a bit.