Turmeric Shepherds Pie
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup short grain rice, rinsed
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
1 teaspoon turmeric, divided
1/4 head green cabbage, shredded
2-3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 leek, trimmed and sliced
1/2 cup frozen mixed veggies
1/4-1/2 cup nondairy milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cook potatoes in water to cover with 1 teaspoon salt until soft. To separate pot, add water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and rice; bring to a boil.
2. Turn down heat, add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric to rice and let simmer slowly for about 30 minutes (or until done). Add 1 teaspoon oil to medium square casserole dish, and add cabbage. Sprinkle caraway seeds over cabbage layer.
3. Add turmeric rice on top of cabbage. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Layer leek slices on top of rice. Add layer of mixed frozen veggies on top. You should have about 1/3 of the dish left on top for the potatoes.
4. Mash potatoes with milk and 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and black pepper to desired taste and consistency. Spread mashed potatoes to fill casserole dish and sprinkle top with remaining turmeric.
5. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.