Tofu Veggie Strata
12 oz. silken firm tofu
6 oz. vegan cream cheese
1 1/3 cup soy milk, divided
6 large slices of bread, crusts removed (I used sourdough), cut into cubes
1/2 onion, chopped and 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup roasted vegetables (I used a combination of bell peppers, onion, eggplant and zucchini)
soy cheese and/or veggie sausage patties, chopped (optional)
I topped this strata with bread crumbs tossed in a bit of olive oil. They created a lovely toasted topping.
Also, some people may recognize the spice blend from VWAV scrambled tofu (my favorite!). It lends itself nicely to this savory strata.
1. Place tofu in food processor and puree until smooth. Mix 1/3 cup soy milk and the cream cheese together and add to tofu. Blend.
2. Saute chopped onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil (or however you prefer) for three minutes until softened. Add minced garlic and saute an additional 2 minutes. Add cumin, thyme, paprika, tumeric, and salt. Stir until onions are well coated with spice.
3. Add onion blend and lemon juice to tofu in food processor and blend until well-combined and smooth. Add in 1 cup soy milk and blend. Stir in nutritional yeast.
4. Spray square glass baking dish with cooking spray and cover the bottom with bread cubes. Cover bread with a cup and a half of tofu mixture.
5. Layer tofu mixture with vegetables and sausage and cheese (if using). Cover with another layer of bread cubes and another cup and a half of tofu mixture.
6. Top strata with your choice of breadcrumbs (about 1 cup) tossed in olive oil (1 tbsp) or soy cheese (as much as you want). Cover with plastic wrap and weight the strata down with a couple plates or books (but not so much so that it spills over the sides). Refrigerate overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven is preheating. Bake for 45 minutes. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!