Tofu Cream Pie
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
5 tablespoons margarine, melted Pie filling:
1 (16 ounce) package silken tofu
3/4 cup water
1 cup rice flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
salt, to taste
1. For crust, mix graham cracker crumbs, vegan sugar, and butter. Transfer into a 9" pie pan and press into the sides and bottom with a spoon. Refrigerate.
2. For filling, in a food processor, blend tofu until totally smooth (2-3 minutes). While tofu is blending, put water in a sauce pan, and slowly whisk in rice flour.
3. Cook on medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Keep stirring until it turns into a thick sticky paste. (This should occur pretty quickly and should not be lumpy at all.)
4. Add rice flour mixture into the food processor with the tofu and continue to blend. Add remaining ingredients (vegan sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt) and mix well.
5. Spoon filling into crust and refrigerate for an hour.
This is an awesome vegan cream pie because it's not runny like a lot of other recipes. I get rice flour from Asian markets. You might be able to substitute it for corn starch, but I prefer the smooth texture and mild flavor of rice flour.