Sweet Potato Risotto
6 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and finely cubed
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 cup white wine (or more stock)
salt and pepper, to taste
vegan parmesan, to taste, optional
1. The secret to a good risotto is to keep the stock boiling at all times. So, put the 6 cups stock into a small saucepan, and heat until it starts to simmer.
2. In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil, and add the onion and garlic and sweet potato. Fry until the onion is transparent. Then cover, turn down the heat, and cook for about 5 minutes to let the sweet potato start to soften.
3. Turn up the heat a little (about medium heat now), and add the rice. Stir well until all the rice is covered. It should all have a very fine covering of oil. If it doesn't, you may need to add a little more olive oil, but only a dash. Stir for a minute.
4. Add the vegan wine (or cold stock). Keep stirring until it is absorbed. Now, add 1/2-1 cup of the boiling stock. Keep stirring until this is absorbed.
5. Add another 1/2 cup. Keep on doing this until all the stock has been added (stirring continuously). This should take 20-30 minutes. Never add more liquid until the last lot is absorbed! Grind in some fresh black pepper and salt, as desired. Serve with vegan parmesan, if desired.
You will have a meal of delightful golden colored rice that just melts in your mouth, and is chock full of flavor. If you can't get arborio rice, you can use either long grain or short grained white rice. Never brown, as it will not cook properly. Arborio is the best for risotto, though.