Swedish Rutabaga Spice Cake
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup white flour
3/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cloves
3/4 teaspoon allspice
1 cup applesauce (I use unsweetened)
1/2 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups rutabaga, peeled and shredded (or parsnips if subsititute needed)
1 cup zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8” cake pan or 13x9” pan or use nonstick pans.
2. Combine flours, sugar, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves in large bowl; whisk to combine.
3. Whisk applesauce, milk, and vanilla in medium bowl to combine. Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients; stir until just combined.
4. Stir in rutabaga, zucchini, and walnuts.
5. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
Let cool slightly and serve warm, with banana “ice cream”, or cold from fridge.'