Super Easy Green Pea Soup
1 16-oz package frozen peas
5 cups boiled potatoes (about 5 large potatoes, cubed)
2 quarts vegetable broth (2 cartons- I like Wolfgang Puck's)
1 large onion, chopped
about 2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
The potatoes and peas should thicken this soup nicely, giving it a rich consistency. The peas give it a fresh sweet flavor that's distinctively different than split peas. I love this soup with some diced soy ham or garlic croutons.
1) Saute onions in a large pot with some olive oil to brown and soften.
2) Add vegetable broth and let it come to a soft boil.
3) Add boiled potatoes and frozen peas.
Note: Add 4 cups potatoes first, then add more as needed to thicken. I always make extra for potato salad the next day anyway!
4) Puree with handheld blender right in the pot until smooth. If you don't have one of these, you can transfer to a regular blender (but you may want to let it cool a bit!).
5) Salt and pepper to taste.