Super Amazing Mind Blowin' Vegan Omelettes
olive oil, as needed
1/4 onion, diced
5 to 6 mushrooms, chopped
1/2 (12 ounce) block extra firm tofu
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
3 tablespoons flour (white or wheat)
2 tablespoons plain nondairy milk
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
1 slice bread, toasted
1-2 tablespoons vegan cheese, shredded, optional
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add and saute the onion and mushrooms. Blend or mash together the tofu, yeast flakes, flour, nondairy milk, turmeric, paprika, pepper, and salt until it is a thick creamy paste-like substance.
2. You might have to add a few more splashes nondairy milk to get the pasty consistency, but you do not want your batter to be runny at all. This is much thicker than traditional omelet batter.
3. When the veggies are about 1/2 done, push them to 1 side of the skillet and pour/scoop the batter into the other side. If your batter is the correct consistency, you'll have to flatten it out with a spatula so it resembles a large pancake.
4. You can leave it this size or separate it into 2 smaller omelets; I find it easier to turn the second way. Cook each side for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly crunchy, then flip. Spread vegan butter on toast.
5. Place an omelet on top of the toast and spoon the veggies on top of that. If desired, top with vegan cheese and place it under the broiler briefly to melt.
Eat up! i usually eat 1/2 this as one meal, but if I'm super hungry and cooking for someone else I'll double the recipe.