Sunday Morning Tofu Benedict with Hollandaise Sauce
1 (14 ounce) package soft or silken tofu
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice Hollandaise Sauce:
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
3/4 cup + 1/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk, divided
1/4 cup lemon juice, optional
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/8 teaspoon sea salt and pepper
dash cayenne pepper or Cajun spice
dash dry mustard
1 tablespoon cornstarch Spinach:
large handful spinach
1/4 cup water
dash sea salt 3 whole wheat vegan English muffins
dill weed, to taste
1. For tofu, cut the tofu into 3/4-1” thick slabs. (I was able to cut my tofu into 6 slabs.) Lift slabs onto a plate or large bowl. They will be delicate so be careful. Drizzle soy sauce and 3 teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice on top. (I do mine one by one to give them each more flavor.) Set aside.
2. For hollandaise, in a small sauce pan, melt 2 tablespoons margarine. Stir in 3/4 cup nondairy milk, lemon juice (you may leave lemon out if you prefer the sauce to be more creamy and not have a kick), nutritional yeast, sea salt, pepper, cayenne or Cajun, dry mustard, and turmeric. Simmer. Mix the tablespoon of cornstarch with the soy milk you had set aside until all lumps are gone. Add this mixture to the sauce, and bring to boil. Keep stirring consistently as sauce will thicken quickly. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
3. For spinach, in frying pan add spinach, water, and sea salt. Cover and steam for a minute or two. Or, put spinach in covered bowl in microwave for 45 seconds with water and sea salt. Keep warm.
4. Place tofu and some of the marinade in a frying pan and heat about a minute or two on each side. Caution when flipping as they are delicate. Toast English muffins.
5. Assemble by placing 1 slice of tofu on top of half of an English muffin. Cover tofu with a few leaves of spinach. Drizzle Hollandaise sauce all over spinach and tofu. Top with a pinch of fresh or dried dill weed.
This recipe will make 6 English muffins, or 3 servings if each person is served two. Indulge and enjoy!!
Source of recipe: I was inspired to veganize one of my former favorite breakfast dishes. I looked at a lot of non-vegan recipes and veganized accordingly.