Stuffed Vegan Cheezy Tamales
12 corn husks (tin foil can be used)
1 1/2 cup cooked vegan crumbles (I use Boca)
1 cup water
1 (1 1/4 ounce) taco seasoning packet
3/4 cup onions, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 (15 ounce) can black beans
1/4 cup veggie broth
1/4 cup tomato sauce
3/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped jalapenos or verde sauce
1/2 cup corn (frozen can be used)
1 1/2 cups shredded vegan cheese (I use Nutritional Foods shredded cheese)
1 (4 pound) bag corn mesa (replace lard with veggie shortening or olive oil)
1. Rehydrate corn husks in water (weighted down, if necessary) for 20-30 minutes, until workable. In a large sided pan, mix precooked meat crumbles with water and taco seasoning. Set aside. Saute onions, and garlic until soft. Add to the spiced crumbles.
2. Add the beans, veggie broth, tomato sauce, tomato, and chopped jalapeno or the verde hot sauce. Add corn until cooked (if frozen). Add cheese and stir in until melted and gooey.
3. Cook filling down until it's not so runny. Let in cool! Mesa will melt if filling is to warm. Refrigerate if necessary. Follow the directions of the mesa box; replace the lard with veggie shortening or olive oil.
4. Use hand mixer to beat until light and fluffy (you can take a small ball of it and try to float it in 1 cup warm water. Add more shortening until it floats. It should be the consistency of peanut butter when slathered. Pat the rehydrated corn husks down, so the mesa sticks.
5. Spread a thin layer of mesa on husk leaving all sides open to roll. (very important that it is thin) Put a little plop of filling in the middle, roll the husk around it so the mesa meets and covers the filling. Tie the ends together. Steam in a large pot for 50-90 minutes (depends on how stuffed it is). When mesa is firm and the husk pulls away cleanly, they are done.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.