Stuffed Summer Squash
2 medium summer squash, washed
1/2 large onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 small tomato, diced
1 tablespoon braggs liquid aminos, or soy sauce
1 cup cooked rice
1 tablespoon ketchup or tomato paste
1 tablespoon shredded vegan mozzarella, or to taste (optional, I use Daiya)
1 tablespoon cream "cheese" (I use Tofutti)
1/2 teaspoon dry basil
4 tablespoons pasta/tomato sauce
1. Slice each squash in half lengthwise, and then scoop out and discard the innards. Place on a sprayed cooking sheet and set aside.
2. In a medium sized skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat, add onion; saute until it looks like it's starting to soften. Add garlic; cook for 1 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook down until they are very soft - almost that melted, sauce-y consistency.
3. Squirt in liquid aminos; simmer for another few minutes. Add rice; mix to incorporate. Add in the ketchup, mozerella, cream cheese, and basil. Stir everything up so the cheese and cream cheesy get melty. Remove from heat.
4. Evenly divide the vegetable-rice mixture amongst the the 4 halves of the squash. Top each squash with 1 tablespoon of pasta sauce
5. Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 30 minutes.
Source of recipe: This recipe came to be when I was faced with an abundance of squash. Find the original recipe on my blog: http://healthykitschyvegan.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/oh-my-squash/