Stuffed Crust Pizza
1 tablespoon sugar
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup bread flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal and/or flour (to dust counter to roll out dough) Sauce:
1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper, to taste Toppings:
olive oil, as needed
1/2 (12 ounce) package sausage meat alternative, chopped well or crumbled
1/2 package (5 ounces) sliceable mozzarella flavored cheese (I use Teese)
1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 cup (yellow or white) onion, sliced, optional
1/2 package (2-4 ounces) vegan pepperoni (I use Lightlife Pepperoni slices)
1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella flavored vegan cheese (I use Daiya)
vegan parmesan cheese, to taste
dried basil, to taste
1. For dough, combine water, sugar, and active dry yeast to activate yeast and let sit for at least 5 minutes. In a mixer, add the dry ingredients and mix on a low setting using a bread hook. When the yeast is ready, add it to the mixer with the olive oil. Let the dough form in the mixer until it forms a uniform ball and starts to climb the bread hook. (If you do not have a mixer, then combine the dry ingredients with the bowl of yeast, kneed until smooth.)
2. Remove and let stand for about 45-50 minutes or until it doubles in size. You want the crust to be more fluffy for your end product, so you should allow more time for the dough to rise. While waiting for the dough to rise, prepare the other ingredients. To prepare the sauce, add all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and let simmer on low heat until ready to use, stirring occasionally.
3. In a lightly oiled skillet, add the seitan and lightly brown. Once the dough has risen, punch it down and then use the the cornmeal and flour to dust the counter. Form an even roll. Stretch the dough to fit a round pizza baking pan and allow some dough to hang over edges. Lightly dust with flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Preheat the oven to 450° F.
4. Cut the sliceable cheese (Teese) into short 1-2" sticks about 1/4" thick. Line the edge of the pizza, overlapping the cheese just slightly. Once the cheese is in place, take the extra dough hanging over the edge and fold over the cheese to seal it. Add the the sauce followed by the mushroom, onion, pepperoni and seitan. Then add the other cheeses.
5. Sprinkle dried basil over the cheese for a little added flavor. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is a nice golden brown. Remove and let cool enough that you can handle. Slice and enjoy!
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/12/stuffed-crust-pizza.html