Stuffed Bacon & Cheese Vegan Veggie Burgers
1-1 1/2 cups TVP (textured vegetable protein)
3-4 slices vegan bacon
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
4 large button or cremini mushrooms, diced to small bits
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1-2 tablespoons ketchup or tomato paste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plus extra to dredge)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon arrow root
1 cup vegan cheddar cheese (I use Daiya)
olive oil, for frying
buns, to serve
1. Rehydrate TVP in water or vegetable stock, as directed on package. In a skillet, prepare the bacon and set aside to cool. Once cool, chop to small pieces. In a large mixing bowl, add the black beans and give it a light mash to open up the beans.
2. Add the TVP, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, and ketchup. Mix well. Stir in the flour, cornstarch, and arrowroot and mix as even as possible. (You wont be able to get every little piece, but just do your best.)
3. Take a large tablespoon and scoop out enough to make a flat patty. Add 1 tablespoon or so of the cheese and bacon. Take another scoop of the burger mixture (about half as much as previously) and add to the top. Patty down to enclose the "cheese" mixture.
4. Once you have finished pattying out your burger, lightly dredge in flour and add to a shallow skillet or griddle that has been lightly oiled. Cook until both sides are browned.
5. If you would like to grill these burgers, preheat oven to 225° F and prepare as above. Bake patties until they are firm and have lightly browned. This will hold them together so they wont break a part and fall into the grill. Add to the grill and cook until brown to your liking.
Topping suggestions: Add some slices of vegan bacon, vegan cheese, and mushrooms and onions sauteed in a little vegan butter. Top with a little mustard on a toasted Bun. Top with standard burger toppings such as lettuce, onion, pickle, vegan mayo, ketchup, and mustard.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/07/alexis-purple-potato-gratin-joes.html