Sticky Chocolate Date Pudding with Warm Maple Syrup Sauce
1 1/2 cups (240g) seeded chopped dates
1 3/4 cups (430mls) water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda or gluten free baking powder
80 grams vegan butter (I used 4 and a bit tablespoons)
1 cup (150g) self raising flour (gluten free optional)
1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
2/3 cup (70g) pecans or walnuts chopped
2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
2 medium sized bananas, mashed into smooth paste
Maple syrup (enough to drizzle over 6 to 8 slices of pudding)
1) Grease deep cake pan, can be round or rectangular, cover base with baking paper.
2) Combine dates and water in small pan and bring to boil, remove from heat and add soda, cover and stand for 5 minutes. Blend or process until smooth.
3) Beat vegan butter and sugar in bowl with electric mixers (or mix master for best results) until combined. Mash banans into smooth paste and add to vegan butter and sugar, half amount at a time.
4) Transfer mixture into a large bowl, fold in sifted flour and cocoa powder until nicely combined, then add nuts, with warm date mixture, half amount at a time.
5) Pour mixture into prepared pan, bake in moderate (180 - 190 cup ) oven for about an hour. Stand pudding for 10 minutes before turning onto serving plate.
6) Heat the maple syrup ( bain-marie works well) and drizzle over pudding while nice and hot.
Enjoy : )
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from cookbook called 'Sweet Temptations' by ....Australians Women Weekly (1996)