Spinach and Vegan Sausage Tofu Quiche
1 medium onion, very finely chopped (almost pureed)
1 pound spinach (for frozen spinach: use 1-1/2 ten-ounce blocks, defrosted and drained)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup vegan sausage, flattened, browned, and diced (I use Gimme Lean sausage style textured vegetable protein)
1 lb firm tofu, drained (14 oz block is fine)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I use soymilk)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of dried parsley
1 sheet of ready made pie crust, precooked
1. In a food processor, puree the onion until extremely fine (like apple sauce).
2. In a saute pan, cook your spinach until just soft. Transfer to mixing bowl. Add then vegetable oil, onion, and garlic. Cook onion and minced garlic until golden. Transfer to mixing bowl. Flatten the vegan sausage style textured vegetable protein into a very flat patty then brown on both sides. Remove from vegan sausage from the pan then dice. Transfer to mixing bowl.
3. Mix ingredients in mixing bowl.
4. In blender, puree tofu, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, salt, black pepper, mustard, nutmeg, and parsley until smooth. Pour into mixing bowl and combine well.
5. Pour into pie shell and bake at 400 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until quiche is set. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
Source of recipe: I modified the recipe for Tofu Quiche with Spinach and Broccoli with a few changes to add a really nice twist with vegan sausage and remove the need for soy Parmesan cheese.
This recipe is really tasty and my egg-allergic only-eats-nugget baby loved it. I made this with a fresh crust and thoroughly enjoyed it. The crust recipe was from Martha Stewart's website for "Pate Brisee".