Spinach and "Ricotta" Stuffed Shells
1 (14 ounce) block firm tofu
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
10 leaves fresh basil
1 (10 ounce) bag baby spinach, wilted Shells:
1 (20 ounce) jar marinara or pasta sauce (I use Prego)
1 (16 ounce) box large shell pasta
vegan parmesan grated topping, to taste
1 (10 ounce) block monterey jack style vegan cheese, grated or sliced thinly
(I use Follow Your Heart)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil the shells following package directions. It helps to add a little olive oil and salt to the pot.
2. Put the tofu, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, nutritional yeast, basil, and black pepper into the food processor. Blend well first, and then add the wilted spinach. Again, blend well.
3. Pour pasta into a strainer and run cold water over it. Pour about 1/3rd the jar of sauce onto the bottom of a 9X13" pan. Grab each shell, put about a tablespoon of the tofu mixture into each. Place in rows in the pan.
4. Continue until you've filled the whole pan. Pour the remaining sauce on top of the shells. Sprinkle with some vegan parmesan topping, and evenly distribute the cheese over the top.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes, uncover and broil about 5 minutes, until cheese is brown and bubbly. You may want to watch the broil time so you don't burn it.
Enjoy! Everyone loved this recipe, and every time I make it, it seems to get better.
Source of recipe: I was missing stuffed shells so bad, that I tried to make something close, and these came out even better! Every single one of my non-vegan friends wanted the recipe, and my entire pan was gone in one night!