Spicy Veggie Chili
2 cups dry beans
1 bay leaf
dried red pepper flakes or any kind of hot pepper you like
can tomatoes w/puree (14-l/2 oz.) or two small cans stewed tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive or other good oil
1 or more garlic cloves, to taste
green or red or yellow or orange pepper
salt to taste, if desired
l/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cloves
l/4 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 cup bulgur
OPTIONAL: up to 1 cup of greens for one-dish meal
1. Cover beans with water and soak --OR-- bring beans and water to a boil, turn off the burner, cover, and let sit for one hour.
2. Add bay leaf and hot pepper flakes.
3. Simmer beans until soft; leave on very low heat.
4. Saute onions, garlic, and green pepper in oil until nearly soft. Add dried spices.
5. Add sauteed mixture to beans, along with fresh or dried rosemary.
6. Add bulgur to the pot. Raise the heat if needed, then simmer the whole mixture until the bulgur is done. The chili should be quite thick.
7. Stir in fresh parsley or greens. For some reason, parsley seems to be essential, but other greens can be added and the chili will be OK.