Spicy Shepherd's Pie
2 medium or 1 very large carrot, cut into small cubes (1 cup total)
1 cup water
vegetable oil, as needed (I use olive-pomace oil)
1 (12 ounce) package vegan ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, sliced thinly
1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid amino acids, optional
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, optional
1 1/2 teaspoons bouillon powder or 1 bouillon cube (I use Vegetable Better than Bouillon)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper Top Layer:
4 medium russet potatoes, peeled, chopped into 2" cubes
3 tablespoons + 1/2 tablespoon vegan margarine or olive oil, divided
1/4 cup plain nondairy milk (I use soy)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. For filling, put carrots into a frying pan, add water and a little oil. Cook on high heat until softened, adding more water if needed. Put potatoes (for topping) on to boil. When carrots have softened, add onion, vegan ground beef, jalapeno pepper, and a bit more oil.
2. Saute until the onions are translucent. Then toss in the rest of the ingredients for the filling (corn, peas, liquid amino acids, cumin seeds, bullion, garlic salt, basil, and pepper). Add about 1 cup water. Continue to cook on high heat until liquid has evaporated and absorbed.
3. Turn off and let sit (without lid) to continue to dry. Drain potatoes, when tender. For top layer, mash potatoes. Add 3 tablespoons vegan butter. Once butter has melted, add the milk, salt, and pepper.
4. Mix together and mash again until smooth (small lumps are okay). Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Take the remaining 1/2 tablespoon vegan butter and spread onto a pie pan. It will add flavor to the filling and prevent sticking. . Pour in filling to fill the pan 3/4 full.
5. Top with the mashed potatoes. Smooth out the mashed potatoes with a butter knife. You may want to have it go all the way to the edge of the pie pan, as it does puff. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until top is a nice golden brown, the edges are a bit darker, and has puffed nicely.
Source of recipe: I've never made a shepherd's pie before, but decided to give it a whirl. This is what I ended up coming up with, and it turned out great. My boyfriend went back for seconds.