Soft and Chewy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
1-1/4 cups white sugar, or brown sugar and omit molasses
1/2 cup vegan margarine (e.g., Earth Balance)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons agave nectar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 teaspoons molasses
2 egg equivalents, prepared (e.g., Ener-G "eggs")
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon nondairy milk (optional)
sugar, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, cream together sugar, margarine, and vegetable oil. Thoroughly mix in peanut butter, agave nectar, vanilla extract, and molasses. Stir in egg replacer. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and sea salt.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently mix until a dough forms. Dough should be pliable, not too wet or too dry. Add nondairy milk if it's too dry or a little more flour if it's too wet. Allow dough to chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes before baking.
4. Drop by the heaping tablespoon and flatten with a fork, creating a criss-cross pattern with the fork tines. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
5. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Source of recipe: Inspired by Grandmother's cookies which are not vegan