Simple Stuffed Acorn Squash
1 acorn squash
2 teaspoons water (optional)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 large stalk celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup white button mushrooms, diced
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Cut the acorn squash in half (be careful!) and scrape the seeds out with a spoon. Rub one teaspoon of water into each side of the squash if it is a little older or dry looking on the inside.
3. In a bowl, combine onion, carrot, celery, garlic, mushrooms, and seasoning; mix to combine. Add olive oil; mix to coat. Scoop mixture into the squash and pack down as tightly as possible, and then wrap each squash half with aluminum foil.
4. Bake for 1 hour 40 minutes. It is done cooking when the the squash is pliable on the outside, the flesh is soft inside, and the stuffing looks look roasted and smells sweet (start checking after 45 minutes).
5. Sprinkle sea salt on top of each (if desired) and enjoy! Use leftover stuffing to add into soups or saute into a gravy or add to a broth with some red pepper flakes!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.