2 packets firm tofu
5 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon rice wine or mirin...or 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon grated root ginger
2 gloves garlic, finely chopped
50g (2oz) plain flour
40g (1 1/2oz) sesame seeds or more to taste
2 tablespoons sunflower or veggie oil
1) Drain your tofu and cut it into nice n' rough cubes.
2) Mix soy sauce, sugar, rice wine, ginger and garlic together in a big bowl. To make it less sweet, use less sugar.
3) Marinate tofu in mixture for about 30 minutes, turning the pieces every once in a while.
4) Mix together flour and sesame seeds. Coat each piece of tofu.
5) Heat oil in fry pan and fry tofu until crisp and brown. Batches work best.
If you don't like your tofu too sweet (like me), lay off on the sugar and/or ginger and experiment with some more savory spices.