Seitan Hoisin Stir Fry
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup water
4 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari, divided
3 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
6 cups vegetable broth or vegan chicken broth
oil, as needed for stir-frying
16 ounces frozen stir fry vegetables
1. First, prepare the seitan by combining the vital wheat gluten, water, and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a medium sized mixing bowl. Knead until it forms into gluten. Slice the gluten into bite-sized pieces.
2. Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot and lower to medium heat. Add gluten pieces to the pot, and simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.
3. While gluten in simmering, combine 3 tablespoons soy sauce, sesame oil, and hoisin sauce in a small bowl, and set aside.
4. When gluten is done (it is now seitan), drain from broth. Heat a wok or large pan with a little bit of oil for sautéing, and toss seitan in wok to brown a little.
5. When seitan has browned a bit, add sauce and toss with the seitan. Allow the seitan to cook in the sauce for a little while to absorb the flavor. Add veggies, and heat through until veggies are slightly tender.
Serve over rice! Any suggestions for this recipe are greatly appreciated!
Source of recipe: I like to use the homemade seitan recipe a lot from Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer, and the sauce is taken from the recipe for sesame broccoli stir-fry in Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson. I basically, sorta, combined recipes.