Scrambled "Eggs" and Hash Browns
1 16oz. bag frozen hashed browns
1 green onion, chopped, white and dark green parts separated
1-2 teaspoons coarse ground pepper
1 lb. firm tofu
1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2-3/4 teaspoon onion salt
3/4 tablespoons tamari, or 1 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4-1/2 cup shredded vegan cheddar "cheese"
sea salt to taste
1. In an oiled skillet (med-high heat), place frozen potatoes (can use entire package or less, your preference - I used about 3/4 of the bag). Add chopped white (and light green, save dark green for garnish)part of green onion and pepper. Brown potatoes on all sides, flipping as necessary.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, crumble tofu. Add nutritional yeast, turmeric, onion salt and tamari (or soy sauce). Use a fork and mix until the tofu is evenly coated.
3. When potatoes are completely thawed and starting to brown, push to the edge of the skillet, making a ring around the skillet. In the center, add a small amount of oil to keep the tofu from sticking. Add tofu. After about a minute, flip the tofu over. Once the tofu is a dark yellow on both sides, but not brown, mix the potatoes in.
4. Add shredded cheddar "cheese" (whatever brand you prefer) and mix with other ingredients. Lightly brown potatoes and tofu (I like mine a light golden brown, but not too much or it will get dry).
5. Garnish with dark green parts of green onion (chopped) and serve!
You could also serve this with tofu sour cream or salsa - the choices are endless!