Sausage Egg Cheese McSmuffins
1 10 oz package of firm or super firm tofu (I used Wildwood)
Sliced vegan cheese (I used Daiya Swiss)
Vegan sausage (I used Gardein breakfast patties)
1-2 tbs olive or vegetable oil for frying
Red onion (optional)
Bread product (I used potato rosemary rolls from a local bakery- amazing)
1-2 tbs nutritional yeast
3 tsp Ener-G egg replacer mixed thouroughly with 4 tbs water
Non-dairy milk for thinning batter (I used soy)
Garlic powder (to taste)
Cumin (to taste)
Chili powder (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Tumeric (to taste)
1. First put the tofu in a paper towel and then rap it in a dish towel and compress it with a slightly heavy object. Should sit for 5-10 minutes.
2. Prepare the batter for the tofu. In a bowl or pan that you can marinate the tofu in, add the Ener-G Replacer. Make sure it is very well mixed. Then mix in spices and nutritional yeast. Sorry the spices are not exact. I litterally added a few dashes of each. I also found that it got too thick so I added a splash of milk. I should be a little thicker than Alfredo.
3. Slice the tofu into 4-6 slices. (I cut mine into 6 and saved two for a different purpose)
4. Place the tofu in the batter and let it sit for 3-5 min on each side. Make sure to cover it well.
5. Heat oil on high in a pan. After the tofu is marinated and oil is hot add tofu. After they are brown or crispy on both sides turn the head down to medium and flip a few times while waiting for the sausage to cook.
6. While tofu is cooking, cook the sausages in another pan according to the instructions on the package. I also fried my red onions with this too.
7. Add cheese when you have about 2 min left on the sausages. It hepls to melt the cheese by putting a saucepan cover over the cheese.
8. If desired, heat/brown the buns on the skillet.
9. Add everything together and munch. Chalula or mayo would go well with this too.