Sauerkraut Balls (Randy's Fried Balls)
1 (32-ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained
1 (12-ounce) package vegan meat crumbles (I use Smart Ground Original)
8 ounces vegan cream cheese
1/2 medium sized onion, diced
1-1/4 cups bread crumbs, not panko, divided
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 cup non-dairy milk (original flavor, not vanilla)
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 cup flour
1. In a bowl, combine the sauerkraut, meat crumbles, cream cheese, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, mustard, garlic powder, and pepper. (You may want to use your hands, it is a lot easier that way!)
2. Roll mixture into balls and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (You would rather these be too cold than not enough, you'll have a mess otherwise.)
3. Combine milk and flax seed in a food processor, mix for a minute.
4. Combine bread crumb mixture with flour. Dip the cold balls in the flax mixture and then roll them in the bread crumb mixture.
5. Pre-heat your deep fryer to 335 degrees Fahrenheit. Drop the balls in hot oil for 4 to 5 minutes. remove when they are a deep golden brown. If using a stove-top, fill pan with 1/2" of vegetable oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
Source of recipe: This recipe is based off a favorite finger food from Ohio. It combines cream cheese and sauerkraut, and some other things, to create a delicious deep fried fantasy! You can fry them in a pan with lots of oil but they are best out of a deep fryer.